Getting your property ready to sell
Fri 30 Dec 2016
Spring is often considered to be the best time to sell a house closely followed by autumn. However, the number of properties coming on the market in these periods can mean you have to work harder to sell your property as buyers have more choice at these times of year.
So what can you do to make your property more attractive and more likely that you will find a buyer? Here are our top tips to get your property ready to sell, whatever time of year you are planning to put your property on the market.
- Take a fresh look at your home. Have a good look inside and out and try to be objective – how does your house from the outside compare to others nearby? Also look online at some other houses nearby at similar prices to see how they are presented.
- First impressions count. Are your windows, gutters and front door clean? Do you need to mow the lawn, tidy shrubs, jet wash paving slabs or weed the borders to make your home look more inviting from the outside? Can you move unsightly items such as wheelie bins that clutter up the front of your house?
- Think neutral colours. Could some rooms do with a fresh lick of paint? If so consider neutral colours which are more appealing. Also do you have chipped paint on the banisters or in the hall which could do with touching up? Or perhaps just a good wipe down to remove children’s sticky fingerprints.
- Depersonalise. Think showhome not your home – your buyers need to be able to imagine themselves living in the property so the things that make your home so homely to you may put potential buyers off. Putting family photos and ornaments away, removing children’s pictures and drawings from the walls and kitchen cupboards will help.
- De clutter. Clear kitchen worksurfaces, shelves and bathrooms to make them clutter free. If you have to store large items, such as buggies or bikes in your hallway try to find an alternative when people come to view otherwise you are highlighting a lack of storage.
- Clean. Bathrooms and kitchens need to be spotless which includes cleaning grout, ovens, floors and removing limescale if you can.
- Get ready to sell. Make sure as much of this as possible is done when your Estate Agent comes round to photograph your property – many people now do their initial search online so making sure that your house is presented in the best way possible can make all the difference between someone asking to view your house or not. Pay particular attention to clear surfaces in the kitchen, removing items from the bathroom, making sure the loo seat is down as well as moving bulky items out of view.
- Get ready for viewings. Be out – people may feel pressured and not stay as long if you are there while they are looking round. Make sure you tidy as much as possible but be careful about throwing too much into cupboards. Keen buyers may look in fixed storage such as your airing cupboard, fitted wardrobes or kitchen cupboards so avoid the temptation to stuff them full so that everything falls out if a door is opened.
- Brief your estate agent. Is there any information that isn’t immediately obvious but would be helpful for your estate agent to know that they can drop into the conversation with prospective buyers? For example is there a great park within a 3 minute walk ideal for young children, public transport just in the next road or a parade of shops just a short walk away – for buyers who don’t know the area as well as you do this information can be vital.
To find out more read our seller’s guide here.
With unrivalled success in Farnborough and surrounding areas we have sold an amazing amount of property in recent months and have buyers waiting to purchase in your area. Our reputation as one of the areas leading agents is growing due to three things: Unrivalled marketing, professional & experienced staff and superb local knowledge. If you are considering moving and would like a free no obligation valuation call our team today on 01252 514007 or email us.
**Please do recommend James Griffin Sales & Lettings to anyone else you may know who is looking to Sell or Rent their property. As a thank you to all our existing landlords, we will give you 3 FREE MONTHS FEES, if your recommendation leads to a successful sale completion or tenancy.**